Google Earth Link:
The memorial is
directly opposite Bayeux War
Cemetery, and lies on the south-west side of
the main ring road (built by the British in 1944)
around the city of Bayeux. It is about 100 metres from
the junction with the D5 to Littry, and on the same
side of the road, and only a short distance from the
Museum of the Battle of Normandy (which is well
signposted throughout Bayeux). Due to road changes there is now no longer
parking directly in front of the cemetery; it is
better to park at the Museum and walk over.
Bayeux was entered late
on 6th June 1944, but was formally liberated the next
day - it fell without a fight. Charles de Gaulle
established is first seat of government here until
Paris was liberated, and it became the main staging
post for the British Army in Normandy. The streets of
Bayeux were too narrow for most military vehicles, and
so the Royal Engineers and Pioneer Corps constructed a
ring-road round Bayeux soon after D Day. Several
military hospitals were established here in 1944.
The Memorial commemorates those
who died in the Normandy campaign who have no known grave.
This memorial commemorates
those who fell in Normandy who have no known grave, from the
landings on 6th June 1944 to the breakout in August 1944.