Google Earth Link:
lies 13 km north of Caen on the road to Lion-sur-Mer
(D60). To reach the War Cemetery go northwards right
through Hermanville; after leaving the Mairie (Town
Hall) on your left, turn right. Here is is signposted
with a green CWGC sign. The gates to the War Cemetery
and parking will be found after 300 metres.
Alternatively, coming from Ouistreham, go through
Colleville-Montgomery towards Hermanville. On the main
road is a local sign on the left indicating to the
cemetery; there is no green CWGC. Follow this road to
the end past camp sites to the parking area in front
of the cemetery.
The cemetery was
started just after D Day, and was originally known as
Sword Beach Cemetery because of its close proximity to
that landing area. Most of the original burials were
men from the 3rd Division who stormed ashore here on
6th June 1944, and liberated Hermanville. Indeed, the
stone work of the parking area of this cemetery takes
the form of the 3rd Division battle flash - a red
triangle in a larger black triangle.
Some graves were
moved in after the war, and while the early operations
from D Day towards the liberation of Caen are well
represented here, there are also casualties from the
armoured units involved in Operations Goodwood in
July, and the fighting for the Falaise area in August.
Amongst the British casualties are a large number of
Naval personnel, and Marine Commandos.